Friday, August 27, 2010

ASTI Constitution

I found a quote in Tiffany Cao's Blog that relates to the ASTI constitution:

There were moments when I was in an alliance that actually abused someone mentally. These alliances commenced when a girl thought we were her friend. She kept bothering us, by asking obvious questions. I honestly enjoyed “joking around” with her, even though I was laughing at her. I didn’t joke with her most of the time because I was a straightforward person. I told her directly that she annoys us everyday. I criticized her just to make her feel awful, but I learned how it hurts to receive harsh criticism.
Tiffany spoke up for himself when he told the girl that she was really bothering him and his friends. This corresponds to the 6th rule in the ASTI consitution. Telling the girl that she was bothering him also broke the 9th rule of the ASTI constitution, which is to make a positive impact on your environment. The critisism actually had a negative effect on the girl, which isn't a good thing to do. Tiffany also tried to follow the 10th rule of the ASTI constitution when he told the girl that she was bothering him. The 10th rule si to resolve conflict peacefully. By telling the girl what he really thought, he didn't have to forcefully tell the girl to back off. In a way, this is solving a situation peacefully, although the girl's feelings were hurt. I don't think Tiffany was thinking about what he was saying or what his words could do when he told the girl how much she annoyed him. This breaks the 1st rule of the ASTI constitution.Some people aren't affected by criticism, and some poeple aren't affected very much, but some people are very sensitive about what others think. Also, the there may be a reason why that rule is first in the ASTI constitution, so Tiffany really should have thought about what his words could do, even though he didn't know about the ASTI constitution back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment