Friday, December 17, 2010

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: Final Book Post

     This book really heats up in the final section. There's torturing, sex, suicide, threats, rape, and much more. I repeat: Parents keep this book away from your children.
     These past three weeks, I've had class discussions with my group. Although the discussions were half-hearted and often had long pauses, they made me think in a way I wouldn't have done by myself. For example: Bany commented on how Blomkvist went and "checked out 4 other guys" at the camp. I thought Blomkvist was just suspicious the whole time, not physically atttrated to everyone he sees. Now that I think about it, Bany's reasoning makes sense.
     During today's discussion, I commented on how Blomkvist cheats on everybody. Then, Bany yelled out, "I told you he's a cheater. And you said he wasn't." I don't remember her even mentioning Blomkvist as a cheater.Maybe she was after some credit.
     Because Elizabeth wento home early today, the "discussion" turned into a conversation between me and Bany. I had many unanswered questions like:
"Why do people sacrafice animals?"
"Why did Martin deny seeing Harriet the day she disappeared?"
"Where did Harriet go right after she escaped from Hestedad?"
"Why do people make false identities or use other people's identities?"
"How many people are willing to sacrafice themselves for their friends?"
"When Martin was about to rape Blomkvist, he ties him to a nook and nearly suffocates him. Why is suffocation such a common way of murder? It doesn't halt the production of ATP."
     In my opinion, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" had a very good ending because it's both a comedy and a tragedy. Salander gets angry and dumps his "christmas present" into the trash can(tragedy). Harriet is reunited with the Vangers and becomes the new CEO(comedy).It makes it very interesting.
     In "The Girl With the dragon tattoo", there's a lot of sexual activity that makes it both interesting and disgusting at the same time. There's a section at the back of the book with a preview of the sequel, titled "the girl who played with fire". Even in that tiny section, there's already talk about "erections". A great deal of maturity is needed to read this book and possibly the sequel, too. I like books that don't have as much sex in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment